To begin using your classlist, log into Carmen and go to a Course Home page. Click on Classlist on the right-hand side of your NavBar.
You can view a video tutorial about this topic.
Classlists in Carmen are updated nightly with enrollment information from the Registrar's system (SIS). This update includes instructors and other instructional staff associated with the course in SIS. It also includes all students who are currently enrolled in the course.
As students add or drop courses through the Student Center (SIS), their enrollment will be reflected in the Carmen Classlist. Please allow 24-48 hours for changes to be reflected across both systems.
The Carmen Classlist does not identify which students are graduating seniors or provide information about class rank or other details. This information can be seen in the Faculty Center roster. If you want to identify students according to these categories in Carmen, we suggest using the Groups tool.
Students who have voluntarily withdrawn from a course after the 3rd Friday of the term will remain visible on the Faculty Center roster but will be dropped from the Carmen course.
Students who are dropped from their classes for non-payment of fees (which happens at the start of the third week of the term) will continue to have access to their current-term courses in Carmen for the rest of the third week. After that, they will also be dropped from their classes in Carmen.
To see more detail about students who have been dropped or withdrawn from your Carmen course, use Classlist Reports.
People with the Instructor role in a Carmen course can manually re-add students who have been dropped from the class (voluntarily or by action of the Registrar). However, the students will not remain enrolled. These manually re-added students will be dropped again during each overnight process when Carmen enrollments are synced with the Student Information System (SIS). Information about manually adding students can be found below.
Instructors can enroll and unenroll participants who are not enrolled via Registrar processes in any of the available roles.
Individuals who are enrolled in Carmen courses through the update process with the Registrar’s system cannot be permanently removed from the Carmen course or have their roles changed within Carmen. Attempts to do this will last only until the next daily update. To remove or change roles for these individuals, make changes to the corresponding sections in SIS.
Carmen's term for adding a participant to the Classlist is "enroll." This term is used when adding students, TAs, instructors, or anyone else to the course from within Carmen.
Although this term is the same as the one used by the Registrar's office, "enrolling" a participant in a course through Carmen does not enroll the participant with the Registrar's office. Likewise, unenrolling a participant in a course does not unenroll the participant with the Registrar's office. Students wishing to change their course status must do so through the Registrar's office.
1. Access your Classlist on right-hand side of NavBar.
2. Click Add Participants to add individual participants to a course.
3. Select Add an existing user.
4. Under Add existing participant, type the OSU username (lastname.#) of person to search for. For a faster search, uncheck the boxes for First Name, Lastname, and Carmen ID. You may need to click the "Show Search Options" link to see this.
5. Click Search.
If you are unable to find a participant to enroll when searching in Add Existing Users, it is likely that they are already enrolled in your class as a staff or student. When searching to add a participant, Carmen will NOT display the names of people who already have access. You can not add someone to the same Carmen course in two different roles.
6. Check the Enroll box beside name of person to add to your course.
7. Check the box next to Enrollment e-mail if you wish the system to send the participant notice that they have been enrolled in your course.
8. Select the Role that is appropriate (Instructor, Assistant, Grader, Content Editor, Guest, or Student). (For a comparison chart of basic roles and their access levels, see A Quick Guide to Carmen Roles.)
9. Select the appropriate section (even if there is only one section). Instructors will automatically have access to all sections of a multi-section course. If enrolling Students, Assistants, or Graders, in a multi-section course, be sure to choose the correct one.
10. Click Enroll Selected Users.
You can unenroll participants so they can no longer access a course. This is useful for courses with participants who are NOT managed through the Registrar's class registration system. Permanently unenrolling participants (usually Assistants, Graders, and Instructors) enrolled via Registrar processes can only be done by making changes to the corresponding sections in SIS.
Unenrolling a course participant through Carmen does not unenroll the participant with the Registrar's office. Students wishing to unenroll must do so through the Registrar's office; otherwise, Carmen's automated Classlist loading will re-enroll the student based on Registrar data.
1. Access your course and click Classlist on the right side of your NavBar.
2. Check the box in front of the participants you wish to unenroll.
4. Click Unenroll Selected.
5. Confirm your choice. The selected participants will be removed from your Classlist.
1. To search your classlist, type criteria to Search for (e.g., last name) and click Search. (Click Show Search Options to reveal additional search criteria.)
2. Once you've run a search, your Classlist will display only the search results until you clear the Search field.
Click on any column heading (e.g., Last Name, First Name, Username, Role) to sort names by that criteria.
The Classlist tool allows the instructor to limit the number of students shown on each page of the Classlist. Use the dropdown box in the upper-right to select how many participants to show per page.
Use the View By: dropdown box to view all users or to limit the list to a single section (Registrar’s class number) or group (see Groups for more information).
Choosing Sections or Groups in the View By: dropdown box and clicking Apply will reveal a second dropdown box with the available sections or groups.
The icons just above the list of names provides management and communication functions.
Instructors can temporarily unenroll individuals or change their roles. Check the boxes to select a user from the Classlist, then click the icon for the desired action. See Manage Classlist below for more information about managing enrollment.
Instructional staff and students can print the classlist or any selected group of individuals. Check the boxes to select the names to be printed and then click the print icon.
While it isn't possible to completely disable student email functionality from your Carmen course, you can make it harder for students to email each other from inside of the course by removing the Email and the Classlist links from the NavBar.
This will not remove a student's ability to access email if they have another course in Carmen where the Email link remains available.
If you need to remove the classlist link because of an emergency or high risk situation, please contact us and we can assist you in making these changes.
To the right of each participant's name are several icons:
Click View Enrollment in Separate Window to view any groups to which the participant belongs. (See Create Groups for more details about setting up and using groups.)
Click View Blog to view any public entries in the participant's blog on Carmen. (See more details about the Blog tool.)
The Classlist report allows you to see an enrollment summary of the class including information about participants who have withdrawn.
1. Access your Classlist.
2. Click Report in the upper menu.
3. View Summary to see enrollment by role.
4. View Withdrawals for a list of students who have withdrawn from the class.
Click Grades to see a participant's grades at the time of withdrawal.
Current as of December 2010 (D2L 9.1). Not significantly impacted by December 2011 update (D2L 9.4).