Use the email tool to send messages to other Carmen users from within Carmen.
To begin, log in to Carmen and go to a Course Home page.
There are three different ways to access the Email tool. You can compose messages, add attachments, and use the address book from all methods. Working directly in the Email tool makes the address book easier to access.
1. RECOMMENDED: Use the Email link in the toolbar at the top-left of the page. This is the quickest route, and will allow you access to your Carmen Address Book, including the students in your Classlist. This method allows more options for your recipient list.
2. OPTIONAL: Access the Classlist, check the box next to the individuals you wish to contact, and use the email icon at the top of the list of students and instructors. This method is useful if you need to email a single individual. The address(es) you select will be placed in the BCC line.
3. OPTIONAL: The Gradebook, Dropbox, and Groups tools allow you to select specific students or groups of students and then use the email icon at the top of the list to send an email. This method is useful if you need to email students about their activities in the related tool. The address(es) you select will be placed in the BCC line.
It isn't possible to completely disable student email functionality from your Carmen course. However, you can make it harder for students to email each other from inside of the course by removing the Email and the Classlist links from the NavBar.
This will not remove a student's ability to access email if they have another course in Carmen where the Email link remains available. The Email tool’s Address book will continue to show your course and all students in your course. This is part of the basic functionality of Carmen and other learning management systems.If you need to remove the email link because of an emergency or high risk situation, please contact us and we can assist you in making these changes.
See Email: Tips for suggestions about using Carmen email effectively and for differences between Carmen email and your local email program.
1. Click Email in the Navigation Bar.
2. If desired, click Address Book to display course participants or your personal contacts. (see Address Book instructions below).
3. Select the participant(s) on this page who will receive your message. (Those with long classlist will need to repeat this for each page of students.)
4. Click To, cc, or bcc as appropriate for the participants selected. When you are finished selecting recipients, click the Add Recipients button to close the Address Book.
Putting all names in the bcc field prevents readers from having to scroll down all recipient names before reading your email message. It also reduces the chance that email replies will be sent to a larger group than desired.
5. Type a Subject
6. Type your email message using the HTML Editor.
7. If desired, add attachments.
8. Click Send.
While composing an email:
1. Click Browse.
2. Locate the file to attach.
3. Confirm the file path and name in Attach file:
4. Click Add to add more boxes to include additional attachments. Click the Remove link to remove attachments or extra attachment boxes.
5. Click Send once you have completed composing your Email.
To add recipients to a message while composing email:
1. Click Address Book. The "Filter By" dropdown box will show the name of your course.
You can use the “Filter By” and “Folder” dropdown boxes to limit the recipient list to a particular section or group in your course, or to access your personal contacts. See "Adding Contacts" below for more information.
2. Check the boxes to select recipients for the message. If desired, sort the list of addresses by First Name, Last Name, or Role by clicking on the column headings.
To email everyone in the course, regardless of role, click on the selection box next to To in the top bar of the address book. If this method is used, please uncheck any support personnel who do not need to receive messages.
3. Once recipients are selected, click To, cc, or bcc, as appropriate, to insert recipients into the correct field in the message.
4. When finished selecting recipients, click Add Recipients to close the Address Book.
5. Continue composing the message.
To add a personal contact to the Address Book:
1. Open the Address Book.
2. Click Add Contact. The Contact page opens in a new window.
3. Choose an existing folder to contain this contact from the Folder dropdown list, or click Create Folder to create a new folder in which to add this contact.
4. Enter the contact information. Personal Contacts can include addresses outside the osu.edu system.
5. Click Save to save this contact information and return to the address book, or Save and New to save this contact information and add another new contact.
To edit a personal contact:
1. Open the Address Book.
2. In the Address Book, use the Folder dropdown list to navigate to the folder containing the contact you wish to edit.
3. Click the contact name.
4. In the View Contact page, edit the contact information.
5. Click Save to save this contact information and return to the Address Book, or Save and New to save this contact information and add another new contact.
Current as of December 2010 (D2L 9.1). Not significantly impacted by December 2011 update (D2L 9.4)