When setting up quizzes, you can choose to create either a Section or a Random Section. Sections are used to organize questions; Random Sections pull a set of questions from the Question Library and displays a random subset for each student.
The Random Section option is useful from both a security standpoint and a study-tool standpoint, as each attempt gives students a different question set. You can have multiple Random Sections (so you can have randomized T/F's, randomized chapters, etc.).
1. From within the Edit Quiz area, click the Layout/Questions tab.
2. Click Add/Edit Questions and follow the instructions below to create a Random Section or a plain organizational section.
To create a Random Section, you must have created questions in the Question Library. You can pull questions into your random section from anywhere in your Question Library. All questions in a random section must have the same point value. You can have more than one random section in a quiz.
1. Choose "Random Section" from the Create New drop-down menu, and then click Go.
2.Type in a Section Name, any Message you'd like the students to see, and any Private Comments about the section. You can also add an Image to the section (for instance, if all the questions in the section ask students to analyze an image, include the image here). Be sure to check the appropriate boxes under Display Options to control how the message and image are displayed.
3. If desired, enter any section feedback you'd like to display.
4. Click Save.
5. Click the title of the Random Section to open it. The folder icon will be purple.
- Click the Import button.
- Choose "Question Library" in the Source Collection drop-down menu.
- In Source Section drop-down menu, choose Collection Root to show all questions and sections in your Question Library, or choose a specific section.
- Put a check mark beside the questions to import.
- Click Save.
- Set the number of questions you want each student to see in the Random Section.
- Set a point value for the questions.
- Click Save.
Use a Regular Section to create distinct areas in you quiz. Use sections to organize questions by chapter, topic, type of question, or level of difficulty. You could also use a section to present a case study or a set of questions related to analysis of an image. With a regular section, you control the order in which questions are presented. You can also have questions with different point values.
1. Choose "Section" from the Create New drop-down menu, and then click Go. The folder icon for a regular section is yellow.
2. The remaining steps are the same as for creating a random section, as described above. However, you can also create questions directly in the in the quiz for use in a regular section.
Current as of December 2010 (D2L 9.1). Not significantly impacted by December 2011 update (D2L 9.4).